Before the arrival of Rev. Mr. Latane in Wheeling, the Vestry of St. Matthew's was supporting a Sunday school on Wheeling Island where they hoped one day to establish a new parish. R. B. McLain had agreed to serve as Sunday school superintendent, and the first meeting was in an upper room on Huron Street on June 7, 1869. Twenty-seven children were enrolled.
By 1873, the Vestry at St. Matthew's decided to build a frame chapel on South Broadway Street where the Sunday school then moved. Other St. Matthew's laymen who committed themselves to the Island mission were Judge James P. Rogers and Lawrence E. Sands. On March 29, 1880, the work on the Island was officially set apart as St. Luke's Mission. So rapid was the success that St. Luke's was recognized as an independent and self-supporting parish on June 2, 1881. A beautiful Gothic structure was built on Penn Street, paid for and consecrated in 12 months. The Vestry at St. Matthew's took quiet pride in the establishment of a sister congregation in Wheeling.