With the debt behind them and the successful establishment of St. Luke's on the Island, the congregation at St. Matthew's was ready for another challenge. Early in 1889, The Reverend John Woods, the assistant minister at St. Matthew's, began to hold services at the town hall in Elm Grove. In 1892, the Vestry at St. Matthew's decided the time had come to build a chapel in Elm Grove, and funds were borrowed for that purpose. Soon St. Paul's Mission was established.
About the same time, Rev. Dr. Swope, working with Lawrence Sands, of St. Luke's, established a Sunday school in south Wheeling. Later known as St. Andrew's Mission, St. Matthew's contributed financial support for many years. In 1895, with the help of St. Matthew's, the Reverend Lee H. Young was called to be the vicar of St. Paul's as well as St. Andrew's Mission.